UNIVERSITY OF NAROWAL
Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC)
Research in an essential component of higher education and act as a catalyst in the prosperity of the society. Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) is functioning and established at the University of Narowal in 2020, under the guidelines of the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Islamabad for all Universities/DAIs of Pakistan to establish “Offices of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC)”.
In the light of the significant increase in publications and the enhanced possibility of commercialization of research as well as increase in the number of post-graduate students involved in research and enhancement in research projects, it is equally important to build up the capacity of University of Narowal to manage all research-related activities. ORIC University of Narowal will positively set the pace to match the challenges in the field of Research and Innovation. ORIC University of Narowal provides services for arranging seminars/symposium/ conferences/ workshops, and provide support for all matters pertaining to research and development, inventions, innovation, patents, commercialization, and collaborations etc. By and large Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) has the momentous role for all research related activities of the University.
ORIC believes that Universities are organizations that perform a significant role within contemporary societies by educating large proportions of the population which can generate new arenas for the researchers. ORIC with its mission statement is striving to promote and strengthen the research culture in all disciplines of UON. To bring it at equivalence with other institutions of higher learning within the country and abroad and maintain the highest standards of research by both students and faculty.
The aim of the Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) is to develop, expand, and manage the university’s research programs and to link research activities directly to the educational, social, and economic priorities of the university. The ORIC is also responsible for assuring that the quality of research reflects the highest international standards and advances the stature of the university among the world’s best research institutions. In pursuit of this mission the ORIC has the responsibility of guaranteeing that all research programs and policies reflect the core values of academic freedom, professional integrity and ethical conduct and full compliance with all policies, legal requirements, and operational standards of the university. To facilitate the research culture that guarantee success in research and development and increase the university’s volume and efficiency. Similarly realize above –mentioned objectives by:
- Represent the university’s interests in research and development.
- Sponsoring both indigenous and collaborative research projects and initiatives at the university.
- Coordinate development projects and competitions in the university. Coordinate any advisory services for the benefit of the Government departments and industries.
- Disseminate information on research and development and increasing and diversifying external research related funding opportunities
- Conducting seminars by inviting resource persons from academia and industry to discuss the needs of the society as well as problems faced by the industry, which can be solved by the university.
- Provide Start-Up research grants to the faculty members.
- Consult applicants for R&D projects and of the participants in such projects, and manage related contracts,
- Organize reporting on research and development activities.
- Identify research opportunities for faculty members
- Facilitate faculty to apply for research grants
- Develop focal point for all the research related works in connection with funds/liaison with the funding agencies
- Support in patent filing
- Identify new ways and opportunities of collaborations. Facilitate any negotiations, regarding commercialization activities, between university researchers and industry representatives.
- Provide legal, administrative, and financial management support of research grants
- Support commercialization, licensing etc, of the university research products
- Provide research funds to the PhD scholars to conduct their research.
- Co-ordinate the split PhD program with foreign universities.
- Award of Research Assistantship to the graduate students and regulate M.Sc. M.Phil and PhD programs.
- Approve thesis, supervisors, and examiners for graduate research thesis.
- Translating research for the public’s benefit
- Promoting and improve multi-disciplinary research initiatives
- Create awareness regarding the ongoing research in UON and encouraging University-Industry linkages
- Promoting entrepreneurship, technology-transfer and commercialisation activities which improve and support the economy
- Arranging evaluation of research publications of faculty members and Encourage the publishing of the Research Journal of the University.
- Arrange Training and Development programs in the form of workshops, seminars, Symposiums etc.
- In the light of above-mentioned functions/activities, ORIC is responsible for providing assistance and guidance to the faculty members/PhD scholars in the research projects and also responsible to interact with Higher Education Commission, Islamabad, and other funding/donor agencies in connection to above listed functions/activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF ORIC
The Office of Research Innovation and Commercialization are being established to link research and commercialization from the university with emerging and existing firms across Pakistan and around the world. As an umbrella work closely with the researchers, chancellors and on campus Incubators & S&T Park, the office also serves as a conduit to local, regional and federal partners to ensure research results aid the growth of Pakistan’s economy. Each ORIC will develop it mechanism for research commercialization and will establish a Business/Technology Incubator to work closely for innovation and entrepreneurship.
ORIC consist upon three important wings
a. Research Development and operation
c. Research Commercialization/entrepreneurship
It is expected that ORIC Management, in each university would work on commercialization of research and helping start-ups to incubate, grow, create new jobs, products, services, markets, carry out innovation and bring in funding. They will be expected to:
ORIC consist upon three important wings:
- Secure funds for contractual research
- Generate Revenues from Research commercialization/ Technology Transfer
- Secure Investments for Incubates
- Create Jobs and Internships
ORIC activities will revolve around the following research cycle to ensure research impact on economy and society.
The mechanism for conducive environment and to give strong platform is developed by merging different bodies working in an institute. The director ORIC will be member of all university’s boards and forums to ensure his presence in all meetings for strong coordination.
The board of advance studies and research or office of sponsored research will support wing one research development and operation. While wing 3 will consist upon a Business or Technology Incubators.
These incubators will support research commercialization and will provide a platform for university industry research linkage. Incubators will be established with HEC support in the institutions where ORIC has shown satisfactory performance, based upon the Score Card, in last two years.
Fund raising for research
· Provide information to faculty about various available research grants
· Link faculty with relevant industry
· Help and guide on patent filing and licensing
· Interface between faculty and the commercial sector
· Work with patent counsel to assess patentability/licensing
· Evaluate markets for commercialization of inventions
· Identify potential licensees
· Negotiate terms of licenses
· Assist with negotiating problematic sponsored research agreements
· Help faculty start companies
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ADMINISTRATION
Funding for patent applications
· In-house preparation and filing of provisional patent applications
· Market analyses of university intellectual property
· Data management
· Policy analysis development
· Administrative support